Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Larry's

If you ever decide to visit Venice Beach in sunny California I would skip the touristy food venues and head straight for Larry’s. This fine wine, beer, and food joint turned out to be a true gem. Although we had some initial reservations after learning they only served beer and wine, we picked a corner table on the patio. Prime for people watching, the patio offered a near 360 degree view of the boardwalk, palm trees, and street carts.

The ambiance was perfect: no sleepy lunch music which is common in many restaurants. The wooden tables were set with crisp white rollups and pint glasses on coasters giving the place a slightly fancy vibe. I assumed Larry’s wouldn’t carry Magners, but I was pleased to find a few ciders to choose from on their extensive beer list (In looking for the exact number I was a little disappointed that they don’t seem to have an operating online website with a full menu). I decided to try an Aspall, a strong English cider, and found it rather refreshing. Bridget tried their Sangria of the Day to start and was also pleased with her choice. Since they carry no liquor their sangrias were real, made with fresh fruit and good wine, not a little cheap wine, triple sec, and peach schnapps.


Being on the beach, we started with their mussels dish. The ginger was a perfect complement to the mussels as it gave them a flavorful, semi-spicy taste, but refrained from being overpowering. You could taste the char on the crostinis which added a remarkable air of freshness to the appetizer. Bridget went with a burger for an entrée and I couldn’t resist the fried Monte Cristo special.  I give myself a pat on the back for my choice as I have never experienced such deliciousness from a sandwich. It was fried perfectly and the sweet jam put my mind and body in quite the predicament: I knew I was eating a modified ham and cheese sandwich but my taste buds were screaming, “You’re eating possibly the best fried dough ever.” I was truly impressed. As an experienced restaurateur I couldn’t get over the uniqueness of Larry’s Monte Cristo. The sandwiches were served on modified cutting boards with ramekins of ketchup and a spicy sauce similar to a chipotle aioli (forget the exact name, sorry).

After an Allagash White and a Paulaner, just two of their over 20 draft beer selections, our palates were pleased and our stomachs content. We couldn’t get over how good everything was, especially after our initial hesitation, and considering Larry’s proximity to the boardwalk. There was nothing touristy about the place and I thought their beer and wine selection, and their choice to only serve the too, was pretty cool as they pulled it off perfectly.

Located at 24 Windward Ave. in Venice, California, I would recommend Larry’s to anybody on vacation or unfamiliar with the local restaurants. I didn’t expect great things walking in, but if you do food and beer right you will always have a special place in this heart (or stomach).

No comments:

Post a Comment