Friday, November 18, 2011

dbar

dbar
When people talk about dbar it is generally something positive about the nightlife or the dinner food, just don’t quote me if that’s not in the right order.  I have gone many times for brunch (their biscuits and gravy are legit and cheap, I’ve only had better from my Southern cousins) and a few times for drinks (a friend used to work there), but never for dinner. 
On Election Day Tuesday I had to run into work for a bit but got out around 8:30 p.m. with a growing hunger.  I picked up my girlfriend, Bridget, and let the inevitable, “Where do you wanna go?”  “Well, I don’t care, where ever, your choice,” conversation begin.  We both live minutes from dbar, located on Dorchester Avenue, so I suggested it as neither of us had been there for dinner.
I opened the door and before even lifting the curtains it hit me: Show Tunes Tuesdays, totally forgot.  The place was bumping but we managed to get a table immediately.  It didn’t take long to get my hands on my favorite bourbon, either.  dbar is the only place I have ever seen the infused bourbon Diabolique, with light fruit flavors, which is so smooth it drinks deliciously over rocks.  Our dinner came out very quickly and it lived up to the hype, very good.  Of course one of the entrees was a scallop dish and it was done perfectly.  We were in and out within half an hour which is quite a feat for a crowded restaurant putting out high-quality food.  The Show Tunes were a bit loud, even considering that it is a more “drinks” not “sit down dinner” crowd at that point.  Now that I have finally had dinner, and visited at least a dozen times, I can safely say I have yet to come away disappointed or have any complaints.  And that’s a lot coming from someone as picky as me when it comes to restaurants.
dbar is a little more on the expensive side for dinner, but you can definitely eat and drink well without breaking the bank.  However, for me, it is all about their brunch.  The options are great and their Bloody Mary’s are bloody good.  As anywhere, you can build your own, but I would recommend branching out and selecting either the bleu cheese or wasabi-based Bloody Mary’s.  Waking up all congested after a bender in the New England cold is no fun, but a wasabi-Mary will have you cleared up and seeing straight instantly.
If it is dinner you crave, though, check out their full menu at dbarboston.com and choose from comfort food to fine fare.  If it is a night of drinks you need, then check the nightlife section for more information about Show Tune Tuesdays and iThursdays.     

No comments:

Post a Comment